Daly, Langer top commitments to Boca Raton Championship
BOCA RATON, Fla. (CBS12) —
The Boca Raton Golf Championship is just around the corner and two of the most popular players on the PGA TOUR Champions, Bernhard Langer and John Daly, have committed to playing in it.
60-year-old Langer is a Hall of Famer from Boca and is excited to be back to unofficially host the tournament.
"This has always been one of my favorite weeks of the year," Langer said, in a release from the tournament.
Langer won the Boca Raton Championship back in 2010. He has led the tour in earnings in nine of his 10 full seasons. He has also recently won his career-best seven times in the past year and received his fourth Jack Nicklaus Award.
His competitor John Daly, was the ninth alternate to win the 1991 PGA Championship. He broke his 13-year winning drought last May, when he won the Insperity Championship. He also had two top-ten finishes last year, even though he had to withdraw from two events late in the season because of a knee injury.
"It was probably the most I have been hurt in a year, starting with my shoulder and then with my knee,” Daly said in the release. “To finish the way I did - 14th on the Charles Schwab Cup standings - was pretty neat."
Langer and Daly will join some of the other commitments that already includes defending champion Scott McCarron, reigning Charles Schwab Cup champion Kevin Sutherland and international stars Colin Montgomerie of Scotland and Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain.
Tournament officials say they are still awaiting word from Fred Couples, who played in the event for the first time last year.
Tournament manager Eddie Carbone says they are thrilled to have these talented players to the Palm Beaches for the tournament in Boca Raton, which will take place at Broken Sound, February 5-11.