Report: Man shocked while doing parkour stunts had clothes burned off his body
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) —
A 20-year-old man is still fighting for his life after trying a daring stunt last week.
West Palm Beach police say David Harrison, of Delray Beach, tried to walk on a live FPL wire in downtown West Palm Beach while training in the ninja-like practice of parkour.
Harrison and two others climbed a metal pipe behind 314 Clematis Street and got on to the roof, according to police. They walked on the rooftop to 100 S. Dixie Highway. Harrison attempted to walk on a power pole from 100 S. Dixie Highway to 120 S. Dixie Highway when he touched a live wire and was shocked.
Harrison's friends say they saw a bright flash and "hear a loud explosive sound," according to police. Harrison fell to the ground and his clothes were burned off his body.
A witness who called 911 said Harrison was on fire, the police report showed. One of Harrison's friends used his shirt to put out the fire on Harrison's head.
Harrison was first transported to St. Mary's Medical Center, then to a burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.
He's still in critical condition.