Intense manhunt underway for suspected serial killer
TAMPA, Fla. (CBS12) —
24 hours have passed since police say a suspected serial killer struck for the fourth time in the Seminole Heights community in Tampa.
The manhunt for the person responsible intensified Tuesday with law enforcement heavily patrolling the surrounding areas.
SWAT team members went door-to-door searching for any leads that could help them catch this killer.
Many neighbors told CBS12 they are too afraid to even step outside their homes after four people were killed just within a few weeks.
The most recent victim was 60-year-old Ronald Felton.
Police say Felton was shot in the back just before 5:00 a.m. Tuesday as he was crossing the street to get to a church where family members said he regularly helped feed the homeless.
Just last month, three people were killed within 11 days; 22-year-old Benjamin Mitchell, 32-year-old Monica Hoffa, and 20-year-old Anthony Naiboa.
In Tuesday's fourth shooting there was a witness who described the suspect to police as a black male between 6 feet and 6 feet 2 inches with a thin build and a light complexion.
The witness said he was dressed in all black.
Until this killer is caught, police are encouraging people in the Seminole Heights community to be alert and stay inside but if they do go out, to make sure it is not on their own.