Family sues health center after 98-year-old grandmother dies
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) —
Eva Mae Rhodes was 98-years old. Her family says she died when caregivers at Lakeside Health Center in West Palm Beach left her unattended in 90 degree temperatures for more than 5 hours.
The family has now filed a lawsuit against the Health Center and wants them held accountable.
Candace McKinley says her 98-year-old grandmother suffered from dementia, was wheel chair bound and couldn’t talk. According to her lawyers Caregivers at Lakeside Health Center in West Palm Beach, Rhodes was a patient for more than three years.
The attorneys on the case say a medical examiner found Rhodes sustained 2nd degree burns and died of hyperthermia 17 days later.
“I trusted Lakeside with her care” says McKinley. “She took care of me and I trusted her.”
The lawyers also say they have a report from the Florida Department of Children and Families regarding Lakeside Health Center, and in it, Center officials say Rhodes was able to go in and out on her own and they allowed her the freedom to do just that.
In the same report West Palm Beach Fire Rescue says Rhodes was unresponsive when they brought her to St.Mary’s Hospital. Hospital officials state she was admitted with complications from hyperthermia.
McKinley says she hopes her grandmother's death is not in vain.
“We want everybody to be treated with dignity and respect I have that same in town that he to treat them as if they were your own family.”
CBS12 has reached out to Lakeside Health Center for a comment, they say they were unaware of the complaint and they will be looking into it.