BOCA RATON, Fla. (CBS12) — Police say the parents of a 7-month-old boy, who had to be revived with Narcan, had fentanyl in their possession at the time of their arrest at the hospital on child neglect charges.
According to the arrest report, the baby became exposed to a narcotic, stopped breathing and went into full cardiac arrest when his mother handed him over to rescue crews, just after 9 p.m. on March 13 at the Boca Inn on N. Federal Highway. The mother is also the one who called 911.
Police said fire rescue crews performed life-saving measures at the scene and the baby regained a slight pulse. Doctors revived the baby boy after giving him Narcan at Boca Raton Regional Medical Center. Narcan is a medicine that reverses opioid overdoses, police wrote in their report.
Investigators questioned the parents about what happened, and according to the arrest report, both parents initially gave the same story about how the baby boy had a recent cold and had been wheezing from time to time.
The baby's mother, 26-year-old Gekia Drikelle Hunter, said she put the baby down for a nap. A short time later, she noticed the baby started to make gargling noises. Hunter told police she became concerned her baby couldn't breathe so she went to wake him up but couldn't. That's when she said she called 911.
Authorities searched the hotel room where the couple checked in two days earlier. According to the arrest report, police found a white rock-like substance which field tested positive for Butyryl fentanyl, in a dresser drawer. Police found baby clothing in that same drawer. On top of the dresser, police found two straws that contained a white residue inside. Police also found white residue on top of the dresser. On the floor, police found a similar straw and kids toys. On a desk, police found chicken and rice from Pollo Tropical.
Police questioned the boy's father, 27-year-old Bianley Jolicoeur. He initially denied any knowledge of the drugs in the hotel room. But after police shared with him what they found, he said the straws were his. According to the arrest report, he also admitted to using the straws to snort narcotics but denied doing it on this night. He said the straws were old from a long time ago and he planned to throw them out.
Hunter, the baby's mother, also denied using any type of drug in the hotel room. But her story changed when police showed her what they found in the room. According to the arrest report, she said Jolicoeur has been selling heroin. After calling 911, she said she asked Jolicoeur if the baby could've gotten into his stuff (the heroin). She said he said he had no idea how he could've gotten into it.
The baby's mother said the drugs in the hotel room all belonged to Jolicoeur, according to the arrest report. But she also said she used a straw to snort heroin off a napkin with Jolicoeur.
The inn's surveillance video gave police even more evidence against the couple. According to the arrest report, the video showed Hunter throwing out a bag of trash before fire rescue crews arrived. Inside the trash, police found empty clear capsules with a white residue believed to be fentanyl, a clear straw with a white residue believed to be fentanyl, and the Pollo Tropical bag.
Police arrested Hunter and Jolicoeur at the hospital. Police found 5.2 grams of fentanyl in a clear zip-lock bag in the baby diaper bag at the hospital.
Hunter later said she knew about the heroin, and admitted to throwing out the trash bag with some of the evidence, including heroin. She said she became scared and panicked. She admitted to using heroin earlier in the night, just before calling 911.
The baby is stable at the hospital. He was taken to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital for further treatment.
Hunter faces charges of child neglect causing great bodily injury, possession of fentanyl, and tampering with physical evidence.
Jolicoeur faces charges of child neglect causing great bodily injury and possession of fentanyl.
Both appeared in court Wednesday morning.