911 tape released after police say son stabs father to death

911 tape released after police say son stabs father to death. (WPEC)

Tuesday night, police responded to “The Club at St. Lucie West” for a stabbing.

Port St. Lucie police were called by the man they say is responsible, 36-year-old Justino Cruz Junior.

Cruz called 911 and said, “I just killed my father.” He added, “I’m schizoaffective. I needed my medication and no one listened.”

Detective Sgt. Joe Norkus with the Port St. Lucie Police Department said it’s not that simple to figure out why someone would commit murder.

“That has to be followed up on. We don’t know yet. We have to corroborate that. We have to see if there is any credible claim to that so if we need to find doctors or medical records that’s going to take some time,” said Norkus.

Police only released a portion of the call on Wednesday night.

Wednesday morning, Cruz went before a judge and was denied bond.

When investigators responded to the 911 call on Tuesday night, they found the body of 65-year-old Justino Cruz. However, Cruz Junior and the murder weapon was nowhere to be found.

A few hours later, a community member called 911 saying they saw Cruz at the Publix by Crosstown Parkway and Fairgreen.

“We are only good as the information we receive from the public,” said Norkus. He continued, “we need everyone's help to do this.”

Norkus said because of that tip they were able to find Cruz in the area and arrest him.

While Cruz was being questioned, police said Cruz told them where to look for the murder weapon. It was found in a pond at his apartment complex.

“He threw it from that first-floor balcony into the water behind his house,” said Norkus.

Norkus said Cruz does have a criminal history with the police department, but nothing since 2009 when he was arrested for burglary and petty theft.

There were also two missing person reports on Cruz. The most recent two months ago, filed by Cruz’s father.

“The father was concerned for him because of some of his behaviors,” said Master Sergeant Frank Sabol, Port St. Lucie Police Department.

He was later found in North Carolina.

“Since then he moved down here and was living with his father,” said Sabol.

Police don’t know if any other family members were living with them. They are still investigating.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off