Simple bedtime rituals to help you relax
WEST PALM BEACH (CBS12) —
Relaxation is beneficial for everyone, but especially for those struggling with sleep. Practicing some simple relaxation techniques before bed is a great way to wind down, calm the mind, and prepare for sleep.
Here's a list of simple tips to help you relax from Bindu Yoga Studio Owner Angel Lucia:
- Dim the lights in the hours leading up to bed. This means turning computers off, phones, or any lit screens that affect our natural cycles of sleep and wake.
- Take a warm bath with essential oils that have a sedative effect. Oils like Lavender, sweet marjoram, vetiver, amongst many others all are known to be stress relieving, tension reducing, and can help relieve insomnia.
- Listen to soft music.
- Progressive muscle relaxation. Starting with your toes, tense all the muscles as tightly as you can, then completely relax. Work your way up from your feet to the top of your head.
- Place your legs up the wall while in bed. This soothing, restorative posture calms the nervous system, eases muscle fatigue, and helps restore healthy, restful breathing.
- Deep breathing. Close your eyes, and try taking deep, slow breaths, making each breath even deeper than the last. Work towards extending the exhale longer than the inhale, and linger as long as you comfortably can at the bottom of the out breath.
For more health and wellness tips, check out: http://www.angelluciayoga.com/