Help For Seniors and Special Needs
Will you or a loved one need specialized care if a hurricane heads this way? The Palm Beaches and the Treasure Coast will both have several special needs shelters this year for those with medical needs. Physicians and nurses will be assigned to the shelters. Before a hurricane is named, check to see if you or your loved one qualifies. Space at these shelters is limited and is based on need and certain criteria.
You may be eligible if:
• You are dependant on electricity for oxygen or other related medical devices
• You have medical conditions that require professional assistance
• You are immobile or have a chronic but stable illness
If you are accepted, you will be notified and provided transportation to the shelter if you need it. You will need to bring:
• Full and up to date prescription medications
• Medical supplies and equipment, including oxygen
• Something to occupy yourself. Whether its a book or a board game, it will come in handy
• In case you are bringing a caregiver, he or she should bring a chair and something to sleep on
• No pets are allowed
• They will also provide assistance and transportation home
• Food will be provided. However, please bring you own dietary food.
For questions about Palm Beach County's special needs program, call 561-712-6400 and ask to speak to the special needs coordinator.
For questions about the Treasure Coast's special needs program, call 772-461-5201.
Check out our interactive map for locations.
Back to the Hurricane Guide Main Page