If You Have Pets...
Good news! This year Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast now have pet-friendly shelters available to county residents. Normally, disaster shelters cannot accept pets because of health and safety regulations.
Palm Beach County
West Boynton Recreation Center, 6000 North Tree Blvd.
Pre-registration with Animal Care and Control is required. Call 561-233-1266 or visit http://www.pbcgov.com/publicsafety/animalcare/petshelter.htm to register.
The Animal Rescue League of the Palm Beaches, 3200 North Military Trail in West Palm Beach.
Pre-registration is required. Call 561-472-8874 to register.
The Humane Society of the Treasure Coast, 4100 SW Leighton Farm Road, Palm City.
This option of for pets only, so keep in mind you will be separated from your pet. Pre-registration is required. To register, call the Humane Society at 772-287-5753 or 772-223-8822.
Rather stay at a hotel? Check out these links to find a pet-friendly place to stay.
Pet-Friendly Shelter Requirements:
• Pet friendly shelters are for pets and people living in mandatory evacuation zones or in mobile homes.
• Pet owners are required to bring a kennel or carrier food, for three ti five days, bedding, bowls, toys and any special medication for their pet.
• Birds must have a health certificate and a carrier cage with cover.
• No livestock or reptiles will be accepted.
• All dogs and cats must have a current rabies vaccination and license tag, microchip, and provide date of last application of flea and tick preventative medication.
• No aggressive animals or animals classified as dangerous or potentially dangerous will be accepted.
Back to the Hurricane Guide Main Page