Royal Palm Beach Lightning head to the Pony League World Series
The Royal Palm Beach Lightning 8 and under baseball team is headed to the Pony League World series in Texas. Josh Samuels caught up with this special group.
Wednesday, July 18 2012, 11:45 PM EDT
Last Update on May 21, 2013 22:44 GMT
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Vinny Del Negro (NAY'-groh) is out as coach of the Los Angeles Clippers after their first-round playoff exit.
Del Negro had a 128-102 regular-season record in three years with the team. The Clippers made the playoffs the last two seasons.
This season, the Clippers won a franchise-record 56 games, had a 17-game winning streak and won the club's first Pacific Division title before their early playoff exit.
Del Negro had the highest winning percentage (.557) for a coach in the club's beleaguered history. He is the only coach to have consecutive winning seasons since the Buffalo Braves moved to California and became the Clippers in 1978.
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The Oklahoma City Thunder are giving $1 million for tornado relief, matching a $1 million pledge by star player Kevin Durant. The Thunder say they're giving $1 million to the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army and other disaster relief organizations helping after Monday's deadly tornado in suburban Oklahoma City.
The NBA and its players' union are combining to donate another $1 million to the recovery cause.
SAN ANTONIO (AP)-- The San Antonio Spurs hope to match their offensive fireworks they displayed in the series opener when they take on Memphis in Game 2 of that NBA Western Conference final.
The Spurs torched the Grizzlies by hitting 14 3-pointers while shooting 53 percent in their series-opening 105-83 win on Sunday.
By now, the Grizzlies are kind of used to losing series openers. They dropped their last three Game 1's dating back to last year's playoffs.
NEW YORK (AP) -- The Orlando Magic have the best odds of winning tonight's draft lottery, which is sort of like the Super Bowl for NBA also-rans. The Magic finished with an NBA-worst 20-62 record.
The Magic have a one-in-four chance to snag the top draft pick in the June 27th draft. That No. 1 pick is expected to be Kentucky freshman Nerlens Noel. He comes with a bit of baggage, however. Noel is recovering from a torn ACL and is could miss the first two months of the next NBA season.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Bobcats owner Michael Jordan says he's changing his team's name to the Charlotte Hornets. Jordan says he's optimistic the NBA board of governors will approve the name change when they convene in July.
Charlotte will remain the Bobcats next season, but if all goes as planned Jordan anticipates his team will become the Hornets for the start of the 2014-15 season.
The Hornets resided in Charlotte from 1988-2002 before then-owner George Shinn relocated the team to New Orleans.
BOSTON (AP) --The San Francisco 49ers are big winners of Super Bowl 50 -- two and a-half years before it will be played.
NFL owners chose the Niners' new stadium being built in Santa Clara as site of Super Bowl 50 to be held in February 2016. The Santa Clara stadium is due to open in 2014.
San Francisco beat out South Florida, which was stymied in its bid to stage an 11th Super Bowl when the Florida Legislature did not support financing to renovate Sun Life Stadium.
The 2017 Super Bowl will be held in Houston, which also beat out Miami for that game.
In other NFL news:
----Owners have approved a $200 million loan for construction of a new $1 billion stadium in Atlanta.
---- The league and Microsoft announced a deal in which Xbox will provide fans new viewing innovations, including the ability to interact with live games, Skype video chat with other fans, and other enhancements.
-- Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will miss at least three weeks of offseason workouts after a procedure to remove a cyst from his back. The Cowboys say Romo will be ready for training camp in July.
UNDATED (AP) -- The Cleveland Indians aim for their sixth straight win tonight, but they'll be facing an unbeaten pitcher from their closest pursuer in the American League Central race.
The Indians start the night with a two-and-a-half-game lead over Detroit following their four-game sweep of Seattle, their first four-game sweep of the Mariners since 1981.
Tonight, the Indians' opposition gets stiffer. The Tigers come to town and manager Jim Leyland (LEE'-lind) is sending out 5-0 Max Scherzer against the Tribe's Corey Kluber, who's 3-2.
The New York Yankees try to run their winning streak to four in the second of their three game series against Baltimore. The Orioles have dropped six in a row to fall five games back of the Yankees. It's Phil Hughes for the Yanks against Miguel Gonzalez.
In Toronto, Ramon Ortiz is coming off his first victory since 2011 and he'll be on the mound for the Blue Jays against Tampa Bay's Alex Cobb.
Oakland is at Texas, trying to close the five-and-a-half-game edge the Rangers have on the Athletics in the AL West. The A's draw a tough pitching assignment as Texas is sending out ace Yu Darvish, who is 7-1. A Darvish win would tie him with Tampa Bay's Matt Moore for most victories in the majors.
Boston is at Chicago to play the White Sox.
Kansas City tries to end its four-game losing streak when it visits Houston, which is tied with Miami for the worst record in baseball at 13-32.
The Chicago Cubs send out Matt Garza, who is making his first start of the season since coming off the disabled list, when they play at Pittsburgh. Wandy Rodriguez takes a 4-2 mark to the mound for the Pirates.
The Cincinnati Reds start the day a game and a-half back of St. Louis in the NL Central race. The Reds start 3-2 Mike Leake against Jonathan Niese, who sports a 3-4 record for the New York Mets.
The Cardinals go with 5-3 Adam Wainwright against San Diego's Edinson Volquez in the continuation of their series. Philadelphia is at Miami tonight.
The L.A. Dodgers send out 2-0 Zack Greinke (GREHN'-kee) in his second start since coming off the disabled list when they visit Milwaukee.
Arizona is at Colorado as the Diamondbacks try to expand their one-game lead over San Francisco in the NL West.
The Giants try for their second straight win over Washington as they host the Nationals. It's Matt Cain for the Giants against 2-5 Stephen Strasburg.
In the interleague matchup, NL East-leading Atlanta tries for its fifth straight victory when it plays Minnesota, which has lost six in a row. It's Mike Pelfrey for the Twins against Tim Hudson.
UNDATED (AP) -- The Boston Bruins and defending Stanley Cup champion L.A. Kings can take commanding leads in their respective NHL conference semifinal series tonight.
The Bruins are in New York with a 2-0 lead after two games in Beantown. The Rangers are in familiar position -- they dropped the first two games in their first-round series against Washington before winning that series in seven games.
In San Jose, the Kings can take a 3-1 series lead over the Sharks. These teams have been off since Friday when the Kings posted a 2-1 overtime win at the Shark Tank.
UNDATED (AP) -- Golf's governing bodies have outlawed the putting stroke used by four of the last six major champions, effective in 2016.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club and U.S. Golf Association have ruled that golfers no longer will be able to anchor the club against their bodies to create the effect of a hinge. Masters champion Adam Scott used a long putter he pressed against his chest. British Open champion Ernie Els and U.S. Open champion Webb Simpson used a belly putter, as did Keegan Bradley in the 2011 PGA Championship.
The two bodies have urged the PGA Tour to follow along so the 600-year-old sport is still played under one set of rules. The Tour and PGA of America oppose the rule.
- New Dolphins make debut at OTAs
- "LoMo" makes rehab stint in Jupiter
- Tennis Phenom "Tornado" needs funding for the French Open
- Palm Beach State Baseball ready for World Series
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- Dolphins sign former Glades Central star
- Heat close out Bulls in 5
- 'The Beautiful Game' changing lives in Hobe Sound
- Delray Beach overflowing with young tennis talent
- Game 4 Preview: John Evenson talks with Sun Sentinel's Dave Hyde
- Athlete of the Week: Park Vista's Jason Tellex
- Dee says Dolphins moving to Palm Beach is a possibility
- Former NFL player McIntyre arrested in Port St. Lucie
- Jupiter & Kings Academy moving on in baseball, Park Vista volleyball onto States
- Bulls burn the Heat in Game One
- Sun Sentinel's Chris Perkins breaks down Dolphins Rookie Camp
- Seminole Ridge to face Jupiter in regional semifinal
- State house passes Spring Training Aid bill, stops Sun Life renovations
- Athlete of the Week: Morgan Lauer
- Dolphins rookie camp kicks off competitive offseason
- Bills' McIntyre hosting softball fundraiser in Port St. Lucie
- Heart condition pushes Juno Beach golfer
- Marlins dealt major blow as surging Stanton sidelined
- Palm Beach Central's Bostic picked by Bears in NFL Draft
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Bench-clearing hockey brawl
- Dolphins ring in new era with fresh uniforms and fresh draft pick
- Heat vs. Bucks, Game 2
- Palm Beach Central grad Jon Bostic ready for NFL draft
- Zacara defends U.S. Open Polo Title in front of a capacity crowd
- Positive Signs all around at FAU Spring Game
- LaCrosse takes Senior Amateur in playoff
- Wellington Jiu-Jitsu team strikes gold at World Championships
- Williams sisters feeling at home for Fed Cup
- Woulfe, Dew among Senior Am leaders after Round One
- Fed Cup team meets local elementary students
- Management giant IMG takes over Honda Classic
- Palm Beach State baseball star eyes Miami and the Majors
- World renowned Polo title game slated for Wellington this week
- Anquan Boldin and NFL friends get on the hardwood
- 9-year-old tennis talent battles diabetes on the court
- Anquan Boldin continues to give back to South Florida
- Legendary golf course designer Pete Dye in Port St. Lucie
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Marlins home opener sure to have a mixed vibe
- Wheelchair Tennis in Boca Raton looks for a boost
- Athlete of the Week: Jupiter's Kylee Hanson
- Students bowl with the Fins
- Florida Derby winner Orb a favorite for Kentucky Derby
- FAU survives scare from intracity 'rival'
- Palm Beach Central's McDermott commits to Miami
- Yankee fan builds ultimate South Florida Yankees 'man cave'
- NCAA Bracket Challenge, April 1
- Marlins ready to play ball and celebrate 20 years
- Athlete of the Week- Palm Beach Central's K.C. McDermott
- Orb wins Florida Derby; heading towards Kentucky Derby
- Spring Training ends in Jupiter
- Hurricanes lose in Sweet 16
- Gators ready to deal with Dunk City
- Big blasts lift Marlins over Nationals
- FGCU A.K.A "Dunk City" celebrates their Sweet 16 Eagles
- NCAA Bracket Challenge, March 25
- Tiger Woods back on top of golf with win at Arnold Palmer Invitational
- Palm Beach County Sports Hall of Fame expands in talent
- Stanton back to lead Marlins
- Local 8th grader competes with the world's best Polo players
- Marlins' McKeon backs Loria and off-season trades
- NCAA Bracket Challenge
- Miami Hurricanes prepare for March Madness
- Women's Golf Day a big boost for the sport
- Athlete of the Week- Palm Beach Garden's Ta'Coia Williams
- Palm Beach Gardens in running for spring training site
- Marlins Pitcher Fernandez escapes Cuba for baseball
- Bob Toski talks about induction into PGA Pro H.O.F.
- Saying goodbye to CBS12's Pat Murphy
- Report: Dolphins "lead dog" in landing star receiver Wallace
- Marlins Ponder Length of spring training
- Dolphins re-sign both Hartline and Moore
- Yankees fans take over Jupiter; Marlins host Friday
- Marlins' Brantly is the young leading the young
- McIlroy says withdrawing was wrong
- Jose Fernandez ranked a top 5 prospect by MLB.com
- Marlins' John Maine hopes to crack starting rotation
- Michael Thompson wins Honda Classic for first PGA win
- Duke edges Miami in Top 10 Rematch
- Tiger Woods stuck at par after posting another 70
- Youngsters Guthrie and Thompson Lead at Honda Classic
- Guthrie Leads at Honda Classic After Dramatic Day
- Rory McIlroy walks off course at Honda Classic
- College Hoops: Embry Riddle 91, Northwood 81
- Spring Training: Marlins 7, NY Mets 5
- Marlins Chris Coghlan working his way back
- Northwood advances to semifinals with big win over Southeastern
- Heat win their 10th Straight in Philly
- Marlins Lose Mathis in Preseason Opener
- Fiery Crash at Daytona Injures Fans
- Marlins to kick off preseason Saturday with high hopes
- One-on-One: Tennis legend John McEnroe
- Honda Classic kick-off party at Gardens Mall
- South Florida's newest sport Boccia is a game changer
- Big names coming to Delray Beach for 2013 ITC
- Jose Fernandez: Marlins pitching prospect
- Miami Marlins are 'young and hungry'
- Marlin's Stanton ready to move on from November's trade
- Miami Marlins Catcher: Star in the making
- Northwood Seahawks honor CBS12's Pat Murphy
- College Hoops: Northwood 93, Warern 63
- World series qualifying poker event at Palm Beach Kennel Club
- Marlins top pitcher: Ricky Nolasco
- Marlins first day of spring training
- Tiger Woods confirmed for 2013 Honda Classic
- Tway: 'Always trying to figure this game out'
- Fundraiser benefits son of golfer Dana Quigley
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Annika Sorenstam offers tips at Allianz
- Bernhard Langer 'likes his chances' at this year's Allianz
- Northwood Seahawks beat Palm Beach Atlantic, 74-62
- Baltimore Ravens win Super Bowl 47
- Super Bowl 47 kicks off in New Orleans
- FAU Owls beat UL-Monroe 76 - 71
- FAU Owls open 2012 season against the Miami Hurricanes
- Jupiter High beats Atlantic High 77-68
- Northwood University beats Ava Maria 78-64
- Lexi Thompson anxious for new season beginning Feb. 14
- Nationally ranked Northwood Seahawks to play Ava Maria
- A-Rod denies PED use report; MLB investigates
- Obama honors NBA Champion Miami Heat
- Bucs in action: Benjamin defeats Cardinal Mooney
- Palm Beach Piranhas prepping for next game
- Michelle Wie looks for a bounce back season
- Former CBS12 Athlete of the Year, Emanuel Cook, heads to the Superbowl
- Friends, baseball greats gather for Gary Carter Golf Classic
- 44th Bethesda Hospital Foundation Pro-Am
- American Heritage Stallions edge Pine Crest, 1-0
- Dwyer girls basketball beats Lake Worth, 75-69
- Competitive golf returns to Palm Beach Atlantic
- Rory Mcilroy heads commitments for Honda Classic
- Panthers beat Palm Beach Lakes Rams, 82-42
- Northwood defeats Florida Memorial, 90-53
- New professional football league in the Palm Beaches
- Palm Beach Gardens Rams beat Forest Hill
- BCS pre-game party in full swing
- Polo returns to Wellington for 10th season
- FAU beats Lafayette 75 to 70
- New basketball league in Palm Beach
- Steve Lebrun embarks on new journey
- FAU vs. Hofstra
- Will Likely Picks Maryland
- Anquan Boldin Foundation Gives Back
- FAU's Greg Gantt a scoring machine
- FAU Owls remain upbeat despite loss
- Northwood hoops to double-digit win
- FAU comes up just short to Stetson
- Gearing up for spring training
- Hot ticket for Honda Classic
- Northwood wraps up OT victory
- Dolphins Defeat Jaguars
- Stars Out For Hospice Fundraiser
- Northwood Wins Battle at the Beach
- Jupiter Boys' hold off Gardens
- Northwood defeats Point U
- Pavin back at Broken Sound, Watson to be Ryder Cup leader
- Top Juniors in action at "Little Mo" Tennis
- Top Youth Boxers in Royal Palm Beach
- Dolphins Slim Playoff Hopes Need W
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- 21st Groza Awards dinner held Tuesday evening
- Lynn soccer program nabs soccer title
- Top kickers make local stop
- Burke Bowl Bound
- FAU making the move to C-USA
- Dwyer takes win over Palm Beach Gardens
- Duke looking to hit it big in 2013
- Dolphins Thinking Playoffs
- Palm Beach Lakes tops Jupiter on the court
- The "iron man" of golf
- Northwood rolls Devry en route to win
- Pro golfers swing for charity
- Dolphins' confidence is back after win over Hawks
- Camacho clinically brain dead
- Dolphins confident they will turn it around
- Lake Worth Christian wins big
- Venus Williams opens new clay courts in Boca
- Young FAU hoops looking to improve
- FAU Football confident after winning 2 of 3
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- New head man for PGA America
- Blockbuster deal, Marlins ship big names to Toronto
- South Florida PGA Awards
- Pros battle it out at skills compettion on the links
- Dolphins need to protect QB
- Dolphins Ready For Playoff Push
- Marlins Introduce New Manager
- Palm Beach Central rolls Boca Raton
- Jupiter tops Park Vista
- Wait and see on Tannehill
- Dwyer blanks Lake Worth
- Reggie Bush and Dolphins Ready For Rematch with Jets
- The Greek's Trifecta: Week 8
- Northwood hoops starting season #1
- Wellington holds off Dwyer in playoff action
- Dolphins gearing up for Jets
- Tennis legend Chris Evert set to host charity event
- Marlins fire manager Ozzie Guillen
- Marlins Trade Heath Bell
- Josh Drives the Miss Geico Boat
- Jabar Gaffney Getting Closer
- Local running back lands big award
- Canes drop second straight
- Seminoles back on track
- Gators top Vandy
- Bradley shines at the Battle at BallenIsles
- Get ready to go racing on the water
- Local golfer ready for big show
- Starks wins AFC award
- Tannehill Continues to Impress
- Athlete of the Week: Clancy Waugh
- Dolphins Offense Impressive
- Battle at BallenIsles ready to go
- Lake Worth Christian holds on for big win
- Ray Allen fitting in with Heat
- Athlete of the Week: Greg Bryant
- Canes win thriller
- Ft. Pierce Central stays unbeaten
- NFL reaches tentative agreement with refs
- Dolphins ready for visting Jets
- World Baseball Classic swings into local scene
- Dolphins honor Boca High student
- Miami Dolphins win Sunday
- Dolphins Confident
- The Greek's Trifecta: Week 2
- Former Dolphin Chris Chambers gets into fitness business in South Florida
- Dolphins confident in Tannehill
- Volleyball Hometown Highlights: Cobras vs. Panthers
- Watch Dolphins games on CBS12 with audio in Spanish
- The Miami Dolphins "prep" for the Texans, Quarterback Ryan Tannehill is ready
- Friday Night Blitz Week 1
- Blitz Preview Atlantic Eagles
- Lynn University soccer team looking for a successful season
- FAU ready for home opener next Friday
- Jupiter Christian Eagles ready to thro some pig skin
- Jupiter Warriors Ready for Football
- Owls Scrimmage in front of fans in Boca Raton
- Optimism running high for Pahokee Football team
- Dolphins Have Work to Do
- Fantasy Football and Golf Event Coming to PGA National
- Dolphins to start Tannehill
- Raiders Football Team Thinking State Title
- Dolphins Quarterback situation remains unclear
- Glades Day Gators ready for the Season
- Dolphins QB Update and Rookies looking to make splash
- Games in Jupiter: Roger Dean Stadium to host WBC
- Chad Johnson arrested on domestic violence charges, bonds out of a Broward County Jail
- Prepping for water ski national championships at Okeeheelee Park
- Top players tune up for PGA Championship
- DOLPHINS: Jeff Ireland interview
- Ryan Tannehill reports to Dolphins training camp
- Ryan Tannehill Signs with the Dolphins
- St. Lucie Mets honor Gary Carter
- Fins Football Academy in Boca
- New faces at Pelini's first FAU training camp
- New faces at Pelini's first FAU training camp
- Report: Golden's staff broke recruiting rules
- Giving Back: Team Elam Football Camp
- Top junior golfers set to collide at Ballenisles
- Royal Palm Beach Lightning head to the Pony League World Series
- Clay Court Championships: Battling for titles in Delray Beach
- Tiger Woods focused on British Open
- Marlins: Improvement on tap?
- Pahokee boxer, 16, on verge of greatnees with helpf from the Police Athletic League
- Major coming for Tiger?
- Delray Beach bids for Davis Cup finals
- Youth baseball bring historic Vero Beach Dodgertown fields to life
- Legends lend a hand at 2nd annual Ryder Cup Junior Academy
- FAU hires Patrick Chun as new athletic director
- Christian Yelich has bright future as center
- Learning the fundamentals at FAU baseball camp
- Howard Schnellenberger says 4-team playoff is progress but more can be done
- When David Clowney "isn't" talking to area kids about life he's working on his football skills
- Miami Heat win 91-85 over Oklahoma Thunder
- Basketball campers learning from legendary Rollie Massimino
- Lynn University hosts week long youth soccer camp
- Dolphins working their tails off for new head Coach Philbin
- Dolphins ready to embrace 'Hard Knocks' cameras
- I'll Have Another's bid to be the 1st triple crown winner scratched
- Heath Evans 7 on 7 Champsionship this Saturday
- Los Angeles drafts former Cardinal Newman star RJ Alvarez
- Nick Price to captain President's Cup team
- Cameron Wake makes switch to Dolphin's Defensive
- Dolphins quarterback tryouts heating up
- Dolphins making the defense better
- Former Marlins, Martin County deputy arrested on DUI charges
- Dolfans get inside look with new reality TV show
- All 3 Dolphins quarterback are in the mix
- Dolphins full squad workouts
- Yeremiah Bell signs with New York Jets
- Pat Murphy hosts annual charity auction for the Boys and Girls Clubs
- Coach Muschamp greets Gator nation
- Kellie Lewis-Jay signs 5-year deal to be Owls coach
- Jacory Harris impresses Dolphins
- Dolphins: All eyes on Tannehill
- Greenacres water skier prepares for Nationals at Okeeheelee Park
- Gators vs. Warriors
- Stephen Ross: Looking to build a winning team
- Dolphins draft Texas A&M QB Tannehill
- Sue Cohn wins Palm Beach County Women's Amateur
- Palm Beach County Women's Amateur Championship at PGA National
- Optimism running high among Dolphins
- Dolphins: Day 1 of Philbin era
- Dolphin's Phillip Merling handed his walking papers
- Robert Allenby
- FAU hoops coach gets raise, contract extension
- First look at FAU's Owls with Pelini
- Postseason NHL schedule
- Anquan Boldin charity golf tournament in Royal Palm Beach
- Can the Marlins recover from Ozzie Guillen's mouth?
- Miami Marlins manager suspended over pro-Castro comments
- Kent Bottenfield head coach at PBA
- Marlins: Progress for Stanton
- Dolphins in rebuilding mode
- Roddick upsets Federer at Key Biscayne
- Indiana Pacers beat Miami Heat
- FAU searches for a new athletic director
- FAU spring game