Last Update on August 29, 2014 14:53 GMT
NEW YORK (AP) -- Venus Williams is looking to get to the fourth round at the U.S. Open for the first time since 2010. Standing in her way this afternoon is 13th seed Sara Errani (ehr-RAH'-nee) of Italy. While Williams owns seven major singles titles, including two at the U.S. Open in 2000 and 2001, Errani has had more recent success at tennis' most prestigious events. In 2012, Errani was the runner-up at the French Open and a semifinalist at the U.S. Open. She also was a semifinalist at the French Open last year.
In other dayside action, women's second seed Simona Halep (HAL'-ehp) has a match, as do men's No. 4 David Ferrer (feh-REHR') and No. 6 Tomas Berdych (TOH'-mahs bur-DEEK').
Coming up tonight, men's fourth seed Roger Federer has a second-round match with Australia's Sam Groth. On paper this is a matchup of David and Goliath, as Federer is 973-224 in his career with 17 major championships, while Groth has a career mark of 10-15 with losses in his only three Grand Slam matches before winning his first-round match this year.
And women's No. 5 Maria Sharapova (shah-rah-POH'-vah), a five-time major champion, has a third-round match against 26th seed Sabine Lisicki. At a hard-court tournament in Stanford, California, in July, Lisicki hit the fastest record serve in the history of the WTA, reaching 131 mph. Lisicki beat Sharapova en route to reaching the Wimbledon final in 2013, but has lost all five of their other meetings.
UNDATED (AP) -- The Angels and Athletics continue their battle for supremacy of the American League West tonight with the second game of a big four-game series in Anaheim, California. Last night the Angels beat the A's in 10 innings to take a two-game lead in the divisional race. Tonight's game features a good pitching matchup with 13-game winner Jon Lester going for the A's against 14-game winner Jered Weaver.
Two divisions feature an even tighter race than the one in the AL West. In the American Central the Royals top the Tigers by 1 1/2 games and tonight KC is home to Cleveland. The Indians are lurking in the shadows of the division, 5 1/2 games back of the Royals. The Tigers are on the road this evening for the start of a series with the White Sox in Chicago.
The National League Central is just as tight as the AL Central as first-place Milwaukee leads St. Louis by the same 1 1/2-game margin with Pittsburgh just four back. Tonight the Brewers are in San Francisco while the Cards are home to the Cubs and the Pirates are home to Cincinnati.
Wrapping up the night's schedule, the Twins are in Baltimore, the Blue Jays are home to the Yankees, the Phillies are in New York to face the Mets, Tampa Bay is hosting Boston, Texas plays at Houston, the Diamondbacks are entertaining the Dodgers and the Nationals are at Seattle.
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- In college football tonight there is one game with a ranked school participating. That game is being played in East Lansing, Michigan, as the eighth-ranked Spartans play host to Jacksonville State. A year ago Michigan State finished third in the final AP poll with a record of 13-1 and a win in the Rose Bowl.
The Gamecocks of Jacksonville State are no push-overs as they reached the quarterfinals of the Football Championship Subdivision last year. They have had 11 straight winning seasons.
HAMPTON, Georgia (AP) -- Tony Stewart is getting back behind the wheel for this weekend's Sprint Cup action in Hampton, Georgia. The Oral-B USA 500 will be his first race since the death of dirt track driver Kevin Ward Jr.
The three-time NASCAR champion has not raced since his car hit Ward at an Aug. 9 event in New York. Stewart pulled out of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen the next morning, then skipped races at Michigan and Bristol Motor Speedway.
Stewart, who was described by police as "visibly shaken" the night of Ward's death, has been in seclusion ever since.
Qualifying for Sunday night's race is taking place this afternoon at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. The winner of this race a year ago was Kyle Busch.
Race winners get first priority for the 16-driver Chase as long as they are in the top 30 in the standings and attempted to qualify for every race. With two regular-season races left, Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson top the series with three victories. Gordon leads the standings, 27 points ahead of Hendrick Motorsports teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr.
FONTANA, Calif. (AP) -- The IndyCar season comes to an end this weekend with the final race of the year taking place at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. All Will Power has to do is finish sixth or better to win the overall driver's championship. He leads teammate Helio Castroneves (EHL'-ee-oh cas-troh-NEHV'-us) by 51 points.
Qualifying for the Saturday night race is being held this afternoon.
Being on top of the standings entering the final race is nothing new to Power, who failed to win the championship after taking the lead into the 2010, 2011 and 2012 finales.
NORTON, Mass. (AP) -- The Deutsche DOY'-cheh) Bank Championship starts play today in Norton, Massachusetts. This is the second of the FedEx playoff events, following last week's win by Hunter Mahan (MAY'-han) in The Barclays in New Jersey.
The top 100 in the FedEx Cup standings qualified for the tournament. The field will be cut to 70 for the BMW Championship next week at Cherry Hills in Colorado, and to 30 for the Tour Championship at East Lake in Atlanta. To the eventual winner of the FedEx Cup, a rather nice payday of $10 million.
This week's event ends on Monday.
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
US consumer spending dips 0.1 percent
WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. consumer spending fell in July, with a drop in auto purchases accounting for most of the weakness. Income growth also slowed in July.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
JOAN RIVERS SUFFERS CARDIAC ARREST
NEW YORK (AP) -- On Wednesday, Joan Rivers seemed the picture of health -- as she attended an event for Time Incorporated employees in New York.
SEX IN CLASSROOM
MCKEESPORT, Pa. (AP) -- A Pennsylvania teacher is back in the classroom -- after being fired for having sex in a classroom.
IN THE NEWS: APPLE SETS DATE FOR ANNOUNCING NEW PRODUCTS
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- So, what does Apple have up its sleeve when it comes to new products?
Tonight on CBS12
8:30 -- 2 Broke Girls
9 -- Mike & Molly
9:30 PM -- Mom
10 PM -- Hostages