Last Update on October 22, 2014 02:42 GMT
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Kansas City Royals could be headed for their first loss since the last weekend of the regular season.
Madison Bumgarner and Hunter Pence helped the San Francisco Giants build a 5-0 lead over Kansas City through six innings in Game 1 of the World Series at Kauffman Stadium. Bumgarner held the Royals to two while striking out five over the first six frames. Pence belted a two-run homer that put the Giants ahead 3-0 in the first inning.
Pablo Sandoval opened the scoring with an RBI double before scoring on Pence's first homer of the postseason. Pence also scored an insurance run on Michael Morse's RBI single in the fourth.
It was a short evening for James Shields, who was tagged for five runs and seven hits in three-plus innings. Although his nickname is "Big Game James," Shields now owns a 5.74 ERA in 53 1/3 innings over 10 career postseason starts.
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Phillies have re-signed right-hander Jerome Williams to a one-year, $2.5 million contract. Williams was 4-2 with a 2.83 ERA in nine starts for the Phillies after being claimed off waivers from the Texas Rangers in August. He also pitched for Houston last year and was 6-7 with a 4.77 ERA in 37 games with all three teams.
UNDATED (AP) -- The San Jose Sharks are heading home after dropping the last two games of what became a 2-2-1 road trip.
Seth Griffith and Gregory Campbell each scored their first goals of the season in the third period as Boston rallied to beat the Sharks 4-3. The Bruins grabbed a 2-1 lead on power-play goals by Brad Marchand and Torey Krug (kroog), but the Sharks surged ahead when Logan Couture and Joe Thornton scored 37 seconds apart late in the second period.
Krug finished with a goal and two assists, and Milan Lucic (LOO'-cheech) set up three goals to help the B's climb back to .500 at 4-4.
Also in the NHL:
-- The New York Rangers picked up their third straight win by beating New Jersey 4-3 on Kevin Klein's goal at 2:42 of overtime. Rick Nash tied it late in the third period with his league-leading eighth goal of the season.
-- Carey Price stopped 27 shots and David Desharnais (day-ahr-NAY') scored 56 seconds into overtime to lead Montreal past Detroit 2-1. The Red Wings enjoyed a 1-0 lead on Henrik Zetterberg's second-period goal, and they remained ahead until Alex Galchenyuk (gahl-CHEHN'-yuhk) scored with 3:09 left in regulation.
-- Phil Kessel scored twice while the Toronto Maple Leafs were netting four unanswered goals in the second period of a 5-2 win over the Islanders in New York. David Clarkson also tallied twice and James van Riemsdyk (van-REEMZ'-dyk) had a goal and an assist for the Leafs.
UNDATED (AP) -- People familiar with the situation say a hearing on Ray Rice's appeal of his indefinite suspension will be held Nov. 5 and 6. The people spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity today because details of the hearing have not been made public.
Rice was suspended indefinitely Sept. 8 for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy after a video of Rice hitting his then-fiancee in an elevator was released publicly. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell originally had suspended Rice for two games.
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys have released defensive end Michael Sam from the practice squad, causing the NFL's first openly gay player to find a third team since being drafted by St. Louis this year.
Sam spent seven weeks with the Cowboys after joining their practice squad Sept. 3. He went to Dallas four days after being released by the Rams, who selected him in the seventh round of the draft.
In other NFL news on Tuesday:
-- Buffalo Bills running back C.J. Spiller has been placed on the reserve injured/designated to return list, a day after having surgery to repair a collarbone injury. That means Spiller will have a chance to return by Week 16. Spiller and co-starting running back Fred Jackson were hurt in a 17-16 win over Minnesota on Sunday. Jackson is expected to miss four weeks with a groin injury. The Bills filled Spiller's roster spot by signing Phillip Tanner, who spent the previous three seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.
-- The Tennessee Titans have traded linebacker Akeem Ayers and a seventh-round pick in the 2015 draft to the New England Patriots for a sixth-round selection, pending a physical on Ayers. Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt (WIH'-zehn-hunt) said on his radio show Tuesday night the trade probably was the best for both Ayers and the team. Ayers had been scratched five of seven games this season.
-- The Washington Redskins have signed linebacker Everette Brown and placed linebacker Brian Orakpo on injured reserve. Brown has appeared in 38 NFL games with three starts with the Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers and Dallas Cowboys.
-- The New York Jets locked up reliable wide receiver Jeremy Kerley with a four-year contract extension. Kerley was due to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
-- The Charlotte Panthers announced they've released longtime defensive back Charles Godfrey and signed guard Chris Scott. The 28-year-old Godfrey joined the Panthers as a third-round draft pick in 2008 and played in 82 games with 75 starts.
-- Running back Darren Sproles and linebacker Mychal Kendricks were among the injured players who practiced for Philadelphia, though their status is uncertain for Sunday's game at Arizona. Sproles sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in a 27-0 win over the New York Giants on Oct. 12. Kendricks hasn't played since he injured his calf in a win at Indianapolis in Week 2.
-- The NFL has suspended Tampa Bay defensive end Da'Quan Bowers for two games without pay for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) -- Oscar Pistorius has begun serving a five-year prison sentence for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
The double-amputee Olympic runner was taken away from court after being sentenced by the judge who had found him guilty of culpable homicide.
Pistorius killed Steenkamp on Valentine's Day last year, shooting her through a closed bathroom door in his home. Pistorius maintained the shooting was an accident and he had mistaken his girlfriend for a nighttime intruder.
The reigning MVP had surgery on Oct. 16 and will be re-evaluated in about five weeks. Durant says he's never had surgery, so he doesn't know how he will respond to it, but he won't rush his return. He said the situation presents an opportunity for his teammates to grow, and he feels that the team will be better off in the long run as a result.
PARLIN, N.J. (AP) -- The Sayreville, New Jersey, board of education has suspended head football coach George Najjar (NAY'-jar) and four assistants following charges of sexual assault and hazing.
Seven members of the Sayreville War Memorial High School team have been charged with crimes ranging from hazing to aggravated sexual assault over what happened last month. Their names haven't been released because they are under 18.
The school's football season has been canceled.
- Week 8 Game of the Week: North Broward Prep 6 Oxbridge Academy 44
- Week 8: Palm Beach Gardens 24 Jupiter 7
- Week 8: John I. Leonard 7 Palm Beach Central 17
- Week 8: Forest Hill 6 Royal Palm Beach 35
- Week 8: Lake Worth 7 Dwyer 28
- Week 8: Benjamin 13 King's Academy 49
- Week 8: Santaluces 14 Boca Raton 27
- Week 8: Atlantic 13 West Boca Raton 0
- Week 8: Suncoast 0 Boynton Beach 42
- Week 8: Glades Day 50 Boca Raton Christian 13
- PREVIEW: North Broward Prep vs Oxbridge Academy
- Week 7: Palm Beach Gardens 20 Glades Central 40
- Week 7 Game of the Week: Atlantic 7 Royal Palm Beach 44
- Week 7: Somerset Academy 6 Glades Day 28
- Week 7: West Boca Raton 80 Olympic Heights 3
- Week 7: Dillard 12 Boynton Beach 22
- Week 7: Dwyer 33 Forest Hill 0
- Week 7: Pahokee 44 Boca Raton 27
- Game Of The Week: Atlantic at Royal Palm Beach
- Thursday Night Football: Lake Worth 27 Palm Beach Lakes 16
- Game of the Week: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6: Somerset Academy 0 Glades Central 50
- Village Academy at Boca Raton Christian (preview)
- Week 6: Seminole 24 Palm Beach Gardens 24
- Week 6: Wellington 41 Jupiter 0
- Week 6: Pahokee 14 American Heritage 51
- Week 6: Dwyer 47 Royal Palm Beach 24
- Week 6 High School Football Blitz Preview
- Week 5 Game of the Week: Glades Day 35 John Carroll 0
- Week 5: Key West 12 Oxbridge Academy 43
- Week 5: George Jenkins 7 Vero Beach 48
- Week 5: Don Bosco Prep 41 Ft. Pierce Central 14
- Week 5: University School 21 Jupiter Christian 14
- Week 5: Palm Beach Central 28 Seminole Ridge 14
- Week 5: Royal Palm Beach 49 Lake Worth 6
- Week 5: Glades Central 41 Suncoast 6
- Week 5: Boca Raton 0 Palm Beach Gardens 31
- Week 5: Stranahan 27 Boynton Beach 54
- Week 5: Olympic Heights 0 Dwyer 53
- Friday Night Blitz Game Of The Week 5: GLADES DAY at JOHN CARROLL (Preview)
- Week 5 Blitz Top 10
- Week 4: Boynton Beach 28 Westminster Christian 10
- Week 4 Game of the Week: West Boca 7 Royal Palm 17
- Week 4: Okeechobee 28 Ft. Pierce Westwood 21
- Week 4: Dwyer 36 Palm Beach Lakes 22
- Week 4: Heritage 34 Jensen Beach 0
- Week 4: Bayside 21 South Fork 6
- Week 4: Martin County 29 Port St. Lucie 13
- Week 4: Jupiter 7 Cardinal Newman 12
- Week 4: Boca Raton 7 Palm Beach Central 14
- Week 4: Atlantic 35 Forest Hill 0
- Game Of The Week 4: West Boca at Royal Palm Beach (PREVIEW)
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
US existing home sales rise in September
WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. homes sold in September at their fastest clip this year, yet the housing market has yet to fully shake off a slowdown that began in the middle of 2013.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
"BUFFY" ACTOR BUSTED
BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- An actor who starred in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" says he's sorry for misbehaving at an event in Idaho this past Friday.
WATER THEFT CHARGE
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- The owner of a northern New Jersey business found himself in hot water after admitting his role in a plan to steal at least $100,000 worth of water from a local utilities authority.
IN THE NEWS: iPHONE SALES
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Apple' profit picture is brighter these days -- due to the success of its recently released, larger iPhones.
Tonight on CBS12
9 PM -- NCIS: New Orleans
10 PM -- Person of Interest