Last Update on September 19, 2014 12:56 GMT
UNDATED (AP) -- The St. Louis Cardinals needed extra innings to maintain their 2 1/2-game lead over Pittsburgh in the National League Central.
Tony Cruz slapped an RBI single in the bottom of the 13th to give the Redbirds a 3-2 triumph over Milwaukee. The Brewers led 2-0 in the eighth until Jon Jay hit an RBI single and Jonathan Broxton walked Matt Adams with the bases loaded.
Former Cardinal Kyle Lohse (lohsh) carried a three-hit shutout into the eighth before faltering.
The Brewers' second straight loss leaves then 3 1/2 games behind the Pirates for the second NL wild-card berth.
In Pittsburgh, Gerrit Cole allowed two runs and six hits in seven-plus innings as the Pirates completed a three-game sweep of Boston 3-2. Chris Stewart singled home the go-ahead run in the fourth, one inning before Starling Marte's solo homer put the Bucs ahead 3-1.
The Red Sox had runners on first and third with nobody out in the ninth when Will Middlebrooks hit a ball that struck Jemile Weeks down the third-base line, forcing the Boston runner out and allowing Mark Melancon (meh-LAHN'-suhn) to work out of the jam.
The Pirates' fourth straight win reduces their magic number to seven for clinching a playoff berth.
Elsewhere in the majors:
-- Andre Ethier (EE'-thee-ur) and Dee Gordon supplied RBI doubles while the Los Angeles Dodgers put together a five-run seventh to erase a 4-1 deficit and beat the Cubs 8-4 in Chicago. Yasiel Puig (YAH'-see-ul pweeg) had three hits and singled home the go-ahead run as the Dodgers stretched their lead in the NL West to 2 1/2 games over San Francisco.
-- Jake Smolinski began his four-hit afternoon by lining an RBI single that sparked the Rangers' four-run first in a 7-2 triumph over the Athletics in Oakland. Tomas Telis (toh-MAHS' the-LEES') had two RBIs for the Rangers, who dropped the A's a half-game behind Kansas City for the first AL wild-card berth.
-- Seattle is within one game of Oakland for the final AL wild-card berth after Logan Morrison belted a three-run homer to snap a scoreless tie in the ninth inning of the Mariners' 3-1 victory over the Angels in Anaheim. Mariners ace Felix Hernandez wasn't able to get the victory after holding the Angels to three hits while striking out 11 in seven shutout innings.
-- Derek Jeter began his final homestand with a homer before the New York Yankees completed a 3-2 win over Toronto. Blue Jays first baseman Adam Lind let a grounder zip through his legs for an error, allowing the winning run to score in the bottom of the ninth.
-- Washington's starting rotation gave up runs for the first time in five games, but Gio Gonzalez limited the damage to two runs and six hits in seven innings as the Nationals topped Miami 6-2. The Nats trailed 1-0 until Wilson Ramos (RAH'-mohs) hit an RBI double to spark a five-run fourth.
-- Will Venable hit a three-run homer and Alexi Amarista added a solo shot and two RBIs in San Diego's 7-3 victory against Philadelphia. Robbie Erlin held the Phillies to a run and five hits in six innings.
-- Colorado beat Arizona 7-6 on Wilin Rosario's two-out, two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth. Rosario went 4-for-5 with three RBIs in the Rockies' third straight win.
IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Ron Washington has admitted being untrue to his wife of 42-years in his first public statement since resigning as Texas Rangers manager two weeks ago. He apologized to his wife, Gerry, who sat nearby while Washington made a 3 1/2 minute statement. The 62-year-old Washington says he is embarrassed for breaking the trust of his wife, calling it a low time in his life.
ATLANTA (AP) -- Devin Hester made NFL history while the Atlanta Falcons were producing one of the most lopsided wins in team history.
Hester returned a punt 62 yards for a touchdown midway through the second quarter to give the Falcons a 35-0 lead in a 56-14 blowout over Tampa Bay. It was his 20th return for a TD, breaking the previous league mark of 19 set by Deion Sanders.
Hester also scored on a 20-yard run in the second quarter.
Matt Ryan was 21-of-24 for 286 yards and three touchdowns for the 2-1 Falcons. Julio Jones hauled in nine passes for 161 yards and a couple of scores.
The 0-3 Buccaneers were in line for the worst loss in team history until they scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
NFL-CARDINALS PLAYER ARRESTED
PHOENIX (AP) -- Police say Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer head-butted his wife and broke her nose after she refused his sexual advances, and punched her in the face the next day.
The details surfaced in a law enforcement report a day after Dwyer was arrested on aggravated assault charges and deactivated from all team activities. He spent a night in jail and made a brief court appearance before being released on bail early Thursday.
NEW YORK (AP) -- PepsiCo Inc.'s CEO Indra Nooyi has made a double-edged statement on the NFL's problems handling domestic violence, calling some players' behavior "repugnant" but saying that Commissioner Roger Goodell (guh-DEHL') is "a man of integrity."
Pepsico is one of the league's biggest advertisers and sponsor of last year's Super Bowl halftime show.
The league and its teams have come under fire over the past two weeks over how it is dealing with several players with domestic violence allegations against them. An investigation has been launched into whether Goodell knew about or saw a video of Baltimore Ravens player Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee earlier than the commissioner said.
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- Jets quarterback Michael Vick is defending NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (guh-DEHL') who has come under fire for a spate of domestic violence incidents involving players and how Goodell has handled them. Vick says the commissioner is doing a great job.
Goodell has remained mostly silent during the last two weeks as the NFL has dealt with perhaps its most brutal stretch ever, starting last week when video surfaced that showed former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City, New Jersey, elevator.
Vick dealt directly with Goodell when he was suspended in 2007 and reinstated after serving nearly two years in prison for his role in a dog fighting ring.
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) -- Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall believes attempts to link his troubled past to the controversy about NFL domestic violence have been made only for personal gain. Marshall spent 40 minutes Thursday responding to allegations made a day earlier by the father of a woman who once dated Marshall. Clarence Watley called for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to resign because he's disappointed in the way his daughter's abuse allegations were handled.
UNDATED (AP) -- Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles practiced Thursday in a limited capacity despite a high ankle sprain sustained last Sunday against Denver. Charles did not work out yesterday amid fear that one of the game's dynamic playmakers could miss several weeks. Chiefs coach Andy Reid has not said whether there's a chance Charles will be available for Sunday's game in Miami.
In other injury news:
-- Eagles linebacker Mychal Kendricks has missed a second straight day of practice after suffering a calf injury in last Monday's win over Indianapolis. That leaves the status of the team's top defensive player up in the air for Sunday's game against Washington.
-- Denver linebacker Danny Trevathan (treh-VAY'-than) is practicing for the first time since breaking his left leg Aug. 12. The team's leading tackler last year is expected to miss one more game and then return Oct. 5 against Arizona following the team's bye week.
-- New York Jets wide receiver Eric Decker sat out practice and cornerback Dee Milliner was limited, leaving their status uncertain for the team's game against the Chicago Bears on Monday night. Decker is dealing with tightness in his right hamstring while Millner is recovering from a high ankle sprain.
T25 FOOTBALL-AUBURN/KANSAS STATE
MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas State was able to keep fifth-ranked Auburn's offense in check Thursday night, but the 20th-rated Wildcats also made too many mistakes in a 20-14 home loss to the Tigers.
Nick Marshall threw for 231 yards and two touchdowns to help Auburn improve to 3-0 despite being held to only 130 yards, 200 below its season average.
Wildcats quarterback Jake Waters had 245 passing yards but also tossed two interceptions while the Tigers forced three turnovers. K-State kicker Jack Cantele missed three field-goal attempts as the Wildcats fell to 2-1.
Auburn was the highest-ranked team to play in Manhattan since second-ranked Penn State in 1969.
PRATTVILLE, Ala. (AP) -- Top-ranked Stacy Lewis and Mi Jung Hur are co-leaders through one round of the Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic.
Lewis birdied the last three holes and five of the final six for an 8-under 64. She has a tour-high three victories this season.
Royal & Ancient votes to admit female members
UNDATED (AP) -- The Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews has become the latest golf club to end years of male-only exclusivity. R-and-A members have voted overwhelmingly in favor of inviting women.
The members also voted to fast-track a "significant" number of women to join in the next few months. While the club at St. Andrews did not say how many women would be invited, previous reports indicated it could be as many as 15.
Augusta National, home of the Masters, decided two years ago to invite women to join.
TOKYO (AP) -- Second-seeded Caroline Wozniacki (wohz-nee-AK'-ee) of Denmark reached the Pan Pacific Open semifinals by beating eighth-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain 6-3, 6-3 Friday. Wozniacki was in control from the start, breaking her opponent three times in the opening set.
The U.S. Open finalist will face Garbine Muguruza (GAHR'-been-yuh MOO'-guh-roo-sah) of Spain on Saturday.
- District play promises to be wild in 13-7A
- Week 3: Pope John Paul II 7 Benjamin 21
- Week 3 Game of the Week: American Heritage 20 Glades Central 18
- Week 3: John I. Leonard 7 Pahokee 33
- Week 3: South Fork 36 Wellington 45
- Week 3: Moore Haven 0 Glades Day 44
- Week 3: Dwyer 34 Palm Beach Gardens 10
- Week 3: Oxbridge Academy 48 Keys Gate 17
- Week 3: West Boca Raton 37 Palm Beach Central 13
- Week 3: Clewiston 38 Cardinal Newman 20
- Game Of The Week 3: Glades Central at American Heritage
- Week 3: Village Academy 20 Boynton Beach 54
- High School Football Week 3 Preview
- Week 2: Centennial 15 South Fork 24
- Week 2: Olympic Heights 0 Spanish River 23
- Week 2: Royal Palm Beach 20 Pahokee 16
- Week 2: Village Academy 0 Glades Day 27
- Week 2: #theskinny - Boynton's Swain wants to go out on top
- Week 2 Game of the Week: Glades Central 20 Palm Beach Central 0
- Week 2: Suncoast 6 Cardinal Newman 16
- Week 2: Dwyer 41 Jupiter 7
- Week 2: Palm Beach Gardens 10 Park Vista 7
- Week 2: Clewiston 43 Immokalee 28
- Week 2: West Boca Raton 38 Wellington 14
- Week 2: Lake Worth 29 Boynton Beach 64
- Week 2: Boca Raton 7 Atlantic 34
- Week 2: Vero Beach 42 Martin County 0
- Week 1: Palm Beach Central 6 Royal Palm Beach 21
- Week 1 Game of the Week: Glades Central 12 Dwyer 7
- Week 1: South Fork 27 Martin County 6
- Week 1: Sebastian River 6 Vero Beach 35
- Week 1: Jupiter 0 Palm Beach Lakes 25
- Week 1: Miramar 14 American Heritage 7
- Week 1: John I. Leonard 0 Palm Beach Gardens 21
- Week 1: Seminole Ridge 21 Boca Raton 25
- Game of the Week Preview: Glades Central vs. Dwyer
- Santaluces 7 Atlantic 26
- Palm Beach Gardens 21 South Fork 14
- Jupiter Christian 14 Suncoast 34
- Lake Worth 20 Glades Central 26
- Coral Springs 27 Boca Raton 30
- Royal Palm Beach 35 Fort Pierce Central 28
- Suncoast Chargers juiced up for a playoff run
- Park Vista starting over after mass exodus
- Parr returns to lead Dwyer in title defense
- Palm Beach Gardens Coney down to Miami, Florida and Notre Dame
- Santaluces looks for continued success under new Chief
- Seminole Ridge Football are young and hungry
- John I. Leonard ready to win again
- Angry American Heritage ready to bounce back
- Excitement rising around Jupiter athletics with turf field near completion
- Grandview Prep hoops teams dominate playoffs
- Dwyer wins State Championship
- Gardens's Green wins BB
- Wellington, Oxbridge host early signing day ceremonies
- Palm Beach Central prepares for playoff rematch with Seminole Ridge
- Thursday night Blitz Scoreboard
- Game of the Week: Gators beat Raiders with defense on senior night
- Game of the Week Preview: Raiders vs. Gators
- Dwyer remains king with win over royal
- McDermott headed to all-American game
- Game of the Week Preview: Seminole Ridge and Palm Beach Central
- Thursday Night Prep Football Scoreboard
- Royal Palm tops Pahokee in Game of the Week
- Week 2 High School Football Scores
- Game of the Week preview: Pahokee vs. Royal Palm Beach
- Jensen Beach High School football coach resigns
- Game of the Week: Dwyer vs. Glades Central
- Kickoff Classic Rundown
- BOCA RATON: Team Preview
- AMERICAN HERITAGE: Team Preview
- FORT PIERCE CENTRAL: Team Preview
- GLADES CENTRAL: Team Preview
- PAHOKEE: Team Preview
- GLADES DAY: Team Preview
- OXBRIDGE ACADEMY: Team Preview
- ROYAL PALM BEACH: Team Preview
- LAKE WORTH: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH GARDENS: Team Preview
- SOUTH FORK: Team Preview
- PALM BEACH CENTRAL: Team Preview
- JUPITER CHRISTIAN: Team Preview
- DWYER: Team Preview
- SEMINOLE RIDGE: Team Preview
- PARK VISTA: Team Preview
- FHSAA looking at PED policies
- CARDINAL NEWMAN: Team Preview
- West Boca Raton dominates Jupiter in Spring Game
- Local high school baseball stars to to impress scouts at Roger Dean Stadium
- Fort Pierce football stacked this spring
- Jupiter historic season ends in state semifinals
- County's best softball players duel in All-Star game
- Jupiter baseball headed to first state tourney
- TKA, West Boca fall, Jupiter advances to States
- American Heritage three-peats as softball champs
- American Heritage wins, TKA falls in softball state semis
- Jupiter, King's Academy baseball move to Regional Final
- Spring football begins for Dwyer and Park Vista
- PB Central knocks off PB Gardens in softball regionals
- Atlantic softball moves on in Regionals
- Cardinal Newman among district semifinal winners
- Hope's homer gives Dwyer win over Wellington
- Jupiter baseball trying to avoid the hype
- HS baseball: Jupiter vs. Palm Beach Gardens
- Boys HS Hoops: Palm Beach Lakes High 52, Royal Palm Beach 43
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 64, Palm Beach Gardens 25
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 67, Boca Raton 41
- National Signing Day round-up
- Athletes sign letters of intent during National Signing Day
- Girls HS Hoops: Dwyer 63, PB Gardens 30
- Burke Bowl Bound
- Shanovia Dove Signs to Play at LIU
- Thursday Night High School Playoffs
- H.S. Blitz: American Heritage vs. Glades Central
- Season 4 of CBS12's Friday Night Blitz begins Friday at 11-pm on CBS 12
- High school football season kicks off Thursday night CBS12 is ready
- American Heritage has a new coach
- Highschool Football Preview: Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- High School Football Preview: Crusaders ready for combat
- High School Football Preview: Bulldogs hit the field
- New state guidlines help student athletes beat the deadly heat
- Dwyer Panthers hungry to return to state title game
- Olypmic Heights takes on Wellington
- Boca Raton Bobcat's spring drills
- Spring Football: Cobras vs. Panthers
- 3A baseball final: Stallions vs. Stallions
- High School football: Bears vs. Hurricanes
- American Heritage faces St. Pete's Catholic.
- Boynton Beach Tigers are focused on starting strong
- Pahokee football team plans to restore lost glory
- Glades Central players determined, loaded with talent
- Eagles vs. Bucs in Palm Beach Gardens
- Spring Preview: Lake Worth Trojans
- Gators look to be 1st Gardens team to win state title
- New Jupiter football coach puts his stamp on the program
- Park Vista Cobras hard at work
- Park Vista athlete survives stroke and keeps running
- Palm Beach Gardens Gators head to state semifinals
- Jupiter Christian Eagles look to continue success
- Suncoast CHargers back on the field with new coach
- Park Vista Cobras vs. Palm Beach Gardens Gators
- Dwyer Panthers hard at work
- Seminole Ridge Hawks are focused
- Flag Football: Cobra vs. Hawks
- Kings Academy Cheerleaders get state championship rings
- High expectations at Cardinal Newman
- New stories coming soon!
Scots reject independence in historic vote
EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) -- Scottish voters have rejected independence, deciding to remain part of the United Kingdom after a historic referendum that shook the country to its core.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
DARRELL HAMMOND TO TAKE OVER SNL ANNOUNCER'S ROLE FOR LATE DON PARDO
NEW YORK (AP) -- It's a new gig -- and an old one -- for Darrell Hammond.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A new poll indicates that lots of folks in Washington, D.C.
IN THE NEWS: HOME DEPOT BREACH WAS EXTENSIVE
NEW YORK (AP) -- The nation's largest home improvement retailer now is confirming it is the victim of one of the largest data thefts in U.S.
Tonight on CBS12
8 PM -- Big Brother
9 PM -- Hawaii Five-0
10 PM -- Blue Bloods