Police make second arrest in Super Bowl Sunday triple murder
JUPITER, Fla. (CBS12) —
Police arrested a second person in connection to the Super Bowl Sunday triple murder from earlier this year.
Jupiter police named 25-year-old Marcus Steward as the second suspect in the Feb. 5 attacks on Mohawk Street.
According to the incident report, members of the United States Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force located and apprehended Steward without incident in Riviera Beach just after 12 p.m. Tuesday.
According to the arrest report, police DNA evidence linked Steward to the murders. There was DNA found on a glove, a hoodie, and part of a rifle.
The report said the evidence was recovered in the back of Sean Henry’s stolen Honda Accord and in culvert along I-95 where police found Henry’s stolen car abandoned.
Two cellphones belonging to Steward were also discovered in a BMW that was subleased to Christopher Vasata, another accused killer in the case.
Police say Steward is charged with three counts of first degree murder with a firearm, one county of attempted first degree murder with a firearm and one count of grand theft of a motor vehicle.
Authorities arrested Steward in April on a charge of resisting an officer without violence. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office says Steward was aware of a DNA warrant issued related to the homicide investigation but continued to evade law enforcement.
Officers arrested 24-year-old Christopher Vasata in late March for the killings.
The victims were later identified as 20-year-old Kelli J. Doherty, of Tequesta, 24-year-old Brandi El-Salhy, of Gainesville and 25-year-old Sean P. Henry, of Jupiter.
Charlie Vorpagel, 27, who lived in the house where the slayings took place, was arrested on federal weapons and drug charges.
Chief Frank Kitzerow said in a statement:
Due to the complexity of this horrendous crime, Jupiter Police Department Detectives completed a lengthy investigation and have worked tirelessly to examine all pieces of evidence obtained from this incident. As a result, Steward was apprehended and charged today. I would like to personally thank the Palm Beach County State Attorney’s Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), and the United States Marshals Service for their assistance during this investigation. Due to the collaborative efforts of all agencies, a dangerous individual will no longer threaten our community. At this time, there is no further evidence to indicate any other suspects were involved in this incident; and therefore, the case is now closed.
With the case closed, residents like Michelle Johnson in Jupiter River Estates say they can now breathe a sigh of relief.
“I think that makes us feel safe knowing that my daughter is still young and being raised in the neighborhood," Johnson said. "Nothing like that has ever happened before. I’m sure everybody in the neighborhood is probably satisfied there is a closed case."