CBS12 News Team
- Al Pefley
- Chuck Weber
- Michele Wright
- Gary Widom
- Lynn Gordon
- Lauren Hills
- Peter Schaller
- Jana Eschbach
- Joshua Repp
- Karl Man
- Thomas Forester
CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Forgotten Soldiers Outreach
Posted by Miranda Grossman / CBS12 News
Michele Wright / CBS 12 News Anchor/Reporter
LAKE WORTH, Fla. -- Thousands of local soldiers are stationed overseas and miss their family, friends and the normalcy of life that many take for granted.
"I get choked up because I still can't believe it's been 10 years. But when I heard the story from my friend about her son, it really put a place in my heart. God laid it on my heart that there's something I can do to make a difference", said Lynelle Zelnar.
Forgotten Soldiers Outreach in Lake Worth is on a mission...to make sure that no soldier is ever forgotten. Their work throughout the year ships a little bit of home in care packages to let our brave servicemen and women know they are loved. Lynelle Zelnar is the Executive Director and Founder. She says many of our troops are coming home, but many are still being deployed.
"I think everyone gets so accustomed to their everyday lifestyle that they forget we have our servicemen and women serving overseas protecting our freedom. We need to really be grateful and realize our freedom is not free."
Letter read by Jeanelle Avallone from a Soldier:
"Dear Forgotten Soldiers Outreach. Thank you all so very much for volunteering to bring smiles and joy to so many far away from home."
"Over the past 10 years, we've reached out to so many and we've received such wonderful responses from the spouses, parents, soldiers themselves when they send us thank you letters, flags that we're flown on our behalf and when they come to visit. This is why we do what we do".
Their "feel-good" operation and care packages are dedicated to reach out to soldiers who are often overlooked.
"We put everything from letters of encouragement from kids and students all over the country, as well as Girl scout cookies go in every single package. Toiletry items, snack food, protein food, peanut butter, etc. Just all miscellaneous items...all filled with love. And every care package includes an additional smaller care package for that recipient to give to another. We call it the "Troop It Forward" box. That goes into every care package. When someone at mail call doesn't hear their name, they take that package and hand it to them so that no one will go without receiving something from Forgotten Soldiers Outreach".
Open 6 days a week, Lynelle says they can't do it alone. They need volunteers, sponsors, more items, and hand-written letters all year round. No matter the age...Lynelle says, "there is something for everybody".
"Every month we ship out care packages to our list of recipients on a monthly basis and we need help to cover those costs. We need volunteers for the packing events. We need volunteers to help administratively in the office, answer phones, work from home for the organization. We're looking for supporters. A sponsorship for our local communities. Support our local troops, volunteer and help cover the costs of their care packages".
"We have ongoing events in the community. We're just about everywhere we could possibly be to let people know we're there and to not forget about our troops. And thanks to people like you Michele for helping us get the word out. That's a blessing to our organization".
Stay up-to-date with Forgotten Soldier Outreach events HERE
Join in a monthly packaging event HERE
"We are proud of our student ambassadors program. We are happy to have those who need college credits for community service. We welcome the schools, businesses, churches to do collection drives because we need items all year round. We need letters of encouragement all year round. And of course without funds it does us no good. We need the funds all year round".
Lynelle tells CBS 12's Michele Wright, "It's truly not about me. It's about everybody who's pulled together as a team to show support for our troops and let them know that they are not forgotten". Don't forget the soldiers!
Forgotten Soldier Outreach sponsors:
- Florida Power & Light
- Two Men & A Truck
- Girl Scouts
Connect with Forgotten Soldiers Outreach on Facebook HERE and Twitter HERE
If you know an extraordinary person or extraordinary people making a positive difference in South Florida, email Michele Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet her HERE or submit your nomination on-line below. We'd love to hear about it.
CLICK HERE to fill out a submission form
Monday, April 29 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Extraordinary People Stories
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Strike Out Strokes
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Wellington NICU Dir. of Women & Child Services making a difference
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Local Author's Children's Book for Deaf & Hard of Hearing Let's Hear It For Almigal!
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on the March of Dimes & Miracle Babies Eliana and Danielle
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Stuart (MACA) March Against Child Abuse
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on 10 yr old Triathlete & Wellington Kids Triathlon
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on the Palm Beach School of Autism
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Walk to End Lupus Now
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on "Mackanese" Universal 2nd Language
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Treasure Coast Food Bank Wine, Women & Shoes
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Tyler McLellan Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach Orchestral Strings Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Chick-fil-A Spirit Day for Bethany Smale
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spady Museum "Ride to Remember" Trolley Tour
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Place of Hope providing a nurturing home for hurting children
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Fraternal Order of Eagles -Delray Beach #4476
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach Central's baseball team shows their support for Komen Race for the Cure
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Legacy for FAU College of Medicine Students
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Together We See helping blind & disabled children
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Forgotten Soldiers Outreach
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Pastor Wade's work for 'Food for the Poor'
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Holiday Cheer Year Round with Petals with Purpose
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: American Association of Caregiving Youth
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Meals on Wheels St. Lucie County
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Local Paramedic's Tutoring Program Preps Kids for College
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Speak Up for Kids PBC
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: NOPE Task Force
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Young Boy's Cause for Paws benefits TriCounty Humane Society
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Baseball Star Overcomes the Odds to Pitch NU Season
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: "The Ultimate Sacrifice" PTSD Film
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: David Crohan -Making music by touch
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Young Heroes with Big Hearts
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Race For Faith 5K Run/Walk & 10K challenge
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: King & Queen of Senior Prom
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Brothers In Arms Foundation dedication to Veterans
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Brothers in Arms Foundation dedication to veterans
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: WPB Officer of the Year Shamir Bolivar
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: The Plaza Theatre partners with Beyond Blind Institute
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Spotlight on Royal Palm Hearing Aid Center in Boca Raton
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: 89 year old Tequesta woman, recognized with 1st Senior Service Award
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Foster kids see brighter future with Cameras for Kids Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: South Florida barber changing lives at the Salvation Army Center of Hope
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Palm Beach fitness instructor overcomes physical challenges, inspires others
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Jupiter couple champion MS Walk with a smile, purpose
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Vero Beach Eagle Scout raises thousands for charity
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Boca couple turns tragedy into triumph, pays it forward
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: KidsSafe Foundation
- CBS 12's Extraordinary People: Professional Firefighters/Paramedics of Palm Beach County
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us!
The Greek's TrifectaPrognostication, travel and women are The Greek's strong suits as well as his vices. Listen as The Greek breaks down the lines on the biggest games of the week for CBS12.
In Your CornerCBS12 News has Florida Gov. Rick Scott "In Your Corner," answering your questions. Ask a question in the Facebook commenting window below or email it to email@example.com.
Town HallWatch the Aug. 23, 2012 town hall meeting on issues affecting South Florida.
Spot CrimeSearch for any crime within a 5-mile radius of your home!
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Trending with TracyTracy St. George, a South Florida DJ for WRMF, delivers the hottest celebrity news weekly on CBS12's Trending with Tracy.
CBS12 Dolphins ExtraGet the inside scoop on the Miami Dolphins with CBS12's Josh Samuels and Pat Murphy.
Wednesday's Weather KidWelcome to Wednesday's Weather Kid on CBS12's Good Morning South Florida! Here we let middle schoolers produce a "bus stop forecast" each Wednesday. Contact Robin Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org for info on ...
Washington GuardianThe Washington Guardian is an online newspaper committed to providing watchdog journalism from the nation's capital aimed at safeguarding everyday Americans' tax dollars, security and freedoms.
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
Top StoriesGet up to the minute information from South Florida and the Treasure Coast in our Top Stories section!
Newscast LinksGet links and contact information from items mentioned in our newscasts!
Tech-XpertsGet tips and advice on everything tech related, from smartphones, gadgets and online security to Twitter topics and Facebook news and tips!
Treasure CoastWatch local news videos and read news stories happening in Treasure Coast!
Palm Beach CountyWatch local news videos and read news stories happening in Palm Beach County!
News TipsDo you have a lead on a good news tip or want to share a story idea? Let us know!
Raw NewsSee the news as it happened, raw and unedited!
CBS 12 News LIVE StreamWatch LIVE CBS 12 newscasts and breaking news as it happens here!
Traffic LinksGet links and information on traffic conditions, rail information and arrival and departure information for PBIA, MIA and FLL!
PBC Mugshot RoundupView a selection of mugshots from the Palm Beach County Jail's portrait studio, via a publicly available online booking search.
Sex Offender MappingSearch for any registered sexual offender or predator within a 5-mile radius of your home!
Product RecallsGet the latest recalls on autos, child safety seats, consumer products and FDA food and drugs recalls!
Forever FamilyWatch videos and read stories of local people and families in need!
The Dwyer Awards
The William T. Dwyer Awards for Excellence in Education honors outstanding educators from public and private schools in Palm Beach County.
Live FeedWatch the CBS News Live Feed for news stories as they happen!
National and World NewsGet the latest headlines from across the nation and around the world.
Pet of the DayWatch our "Pet of the Day" videos for adorable pets that need a loving home!
Pump PatrolFind the lowest gas prices in West Palm Beach, get fuel saving tips, price trends and check out nationwide gas price averages!
Tonight on CBS12
NCIS: Los Angeles